Comprising an enhanced multi format CD player, high quality Bluetooth receiver, USB playback port, DAB/DAB+/FM tuners and auxiliary and optical inputs united with a powerful 2.1 audio grade amplifier/speaker system, our third generation R4 carries forward the ideology of our original model as a traditional music centre, though one designed and engineered for 21st century living.
Since its introduction in 2008, R4 has become regarded as possibly the finest ‘all-in-one’ system available. With our belief in evolutionary design the new R4 IMS looks reassuringly familiar, but throughout it has been carefully re-engineered making it better than ever. With a smaller footprint, lower profile and selection of beautiful finishes the new R4 exudes style and with our latest RotoDial controller and new technology Organic LED display, R4 is simplicity itself to use.
at a glance
- Superb 3D enhanced stereo sound
- Slot loading CD player plays CD-Audio, MP3, AAC and WMA music disks
- DAB, DAB+ and FM Tuner with RDS
- Bluetooth with aptX for CD quality streaming
- USB playback and charge port
- Switchable auxiliary inputs
- Fixed level audio output
- Digital optical input
- Integrated active subwoofer
- New intuitive ‘click to select’ RotoDial control system
- High contrast OLED display
- Compact custom remote control
- Adjustable treble and bass settings
- Stereo headphone output
- Easy-to-use comprehensive dual alarms
- Finishes: Rich Walnut veneer, Soft White and Soft Black lacquers
- Dimensions H140 × W440 × D250mm
- Weight: 7 Kg
Limited Edition R4-30
To celebrate our 30th anniversary we are delighted to unveil a limited edition version of our acclaimed R4.
Emphasising our evolutionary industrial design, the R4-30’s enclosure has been subtly contoured and finished in an exclusive satin titanium lacquer giving it a modern aerodynamic look. Each R4-30 is also embellished with a machined and etched stainless steel plaque on the rear commemorating the three decades of our craftsmanship and rich audio heritage.
Providing the perfect solution for modern day technophobes, R4-30 continues the ideology of the current R4, showcasing our expertise in designing and crafting products for beautiful spaces.
- The new R4 features a quality DAB/FM tuner and with DAB+ included, it can be used in countries such as Australia and Germany, where this updated format is now being used. DAB+ also ensures thatR4 is ready for upgrades in the UK which are planned for introduction in 2016
- R4 MK3’s slot loading CD player is swift to operate and alongside standard music CDs will also play CD-Rs encoded with WAV, MP3, AAC or WMA music files. R4 Mk3 also displays track and artist information when this information is available on the disc.
- Our trademark RotoDial controller has been updated and is now integrated so users can manage functions either directly from R4 or use its new dedicated infrared remote. With its ergonomic design the new remote control feels comfortable to hold and alongside the RotoDial control makes operation of R4 IMS simple and intuitive.
- On the rear of R4 is a USB playback port for MP3, AAC and WMA files along with a digital optical input and analogue inputs and output. The USB port also doubles as a convenient charge port for most mobile devices. Specifically the new R4 makes a superb TV sound system with the optical input providing a handy connection point.
- R4 IMS features aptX® audio technology which partners with Bluetooth® so you can stream music from compatible devices to R4 with CD quality sound. Bluetooth’s flexibility and simplicity has made it the leading method for wireless streaming and it works with most Smartphone/Tablet audio applications and music streaming services such as Spotify and Apple Music.
- R4 is possibly too big for most bedside tables, but on a chest or suchlike the new R4 will make any bedroom sound better and with its remote control and customisable twin alarms with sleep and snooze timer you can control R4 and wake or doze exactly how and when you want.
- Programme and set-up information are displayed with precision on R4s new OLED (organic light emitting diode) display. Whether you are viewing straight on or from an angle, set-up and programme information is displayed with absolute clarity. The display brightness can also be adjusted to suit your requirements, both in active and standby modes.
- From our years spent designing high-end loudspeakers we understand the importance of cabinet and drive unit design to create natural sound, free from colouration and distortion. The enclosure of R4 IMS is hand-crafted from materials chosen for their exceptional acoustic properties and likewise our drive units are carefully designed and constructed to allow optimum dynamics with a smooth extended frequency response.
- Our design philosophy is far removed from the majority of compact systems available today. As an example most other products use amplifier chipsets for cost and simplicity, but for R4 IMS we use our own Class A-B amplifier system using discrete component technology. This practice is usually only found in prestige, high value audio separates.
“The Swiss Army Knife of audio, this dinky system has everything from a CD player to an iPod dock, looks modern and stylish and boots out serious bass.”T3 - Christmas Gift Guide
“It's a superb iPod dock in its own right, but add in the CD player, radio and luxurious finish and you have a winner.”BEST BUY - What Hi-Fi Awards
“‘Serious small audio’ claims British firm Ruark – and it sums up this award-winning system. Slide in a CD or park your iPod for stunning sound.”5 STARS - Mail on Sunday - Live Magazine
“Micro systems, mini systems, separate systems – they all trail wires and mostly look like they were styled in 1987. The superb R4 is rather different: this is an all-in-one system that may look retro-chic, but its shiny white or wood grain finish will look good in almost any setting. There’s an iPod dock, a CD player, a DAB/FM radio and a USB port, too. The clincher, though, is that it sounds fantastic.”The Daily Telegraph
“Ruark Audio’s ‘R4’ music system is compact – just 45cm wide – but has the sound quality of a much bigger beast.”Elle Decoration
“With a potent mix of features, style and substance, the R4 is well worth its premium.”5 Stars & Hot Buy – STUFF.TV
“Every now and then a product like the R4 comes along and proves the theory wrong. You CAN have your cake and eat it, and you CAN have the best of both worlds: here’s a system that’s as easy on the ears as it is on the eyes: one that doesn’t sacrifice performance for the sake of looks or size”. VERDICT “The lofty price tag means that the R4 isn’t for everyone, but if you’ve got a fair bit of wedge to spend on a new music system this should certainly be high on your list. It performs like a dream, boasts a bevy of talents and looks absolutely stunning.”5 Stars – The Gadget Show on Five
“I have had the R4 for a matter of days and I can't believe the amazing sound it puts out. It replaces a large stack system which I had for 18 years or so. The R4's sound has a clarity I never found on a mid to high-end stack hi-fi and my wife admires the way it fits the room's decor.”Amos Clark, Newcastle upon Tyne
“I purchased the R4 on Tuesday, and I'm absolutely blown away. This is only the second time I've been speechless over something so compact and beautiful. First time was with a Beosound century. The R4i eclipses that. A stunning work of art.”Steve Wright, London
“Just received my R4. Set up, programmed and running in 20 mins.What can I say? Fantastic! I've been using Quad gear since about 1970 and this is easily equal to my 12" Tannoys and 403. What a sound from such a tiny source, And, so versatile. Thanks, worth every penny.”Andrew Mills, London
“An amazing piece of kit. Sounds far better than it should!”Anthony Anderson, Vale of Glamorgan
“I have the Walnut finish. It is beautiful. Truly. However, it sounds even better than it looks.”Aaron Bargewell, Nottingham
“This is the second R4 I have purchased because of it's outstanding all round quality.”Peter Head, Hants
“It's a life enhancing product - superb sound and design. Well Done!”Mark Harris, London
“The R4 is the best Hi Fi I have ever encountered - wonderful sound.”Graham Reynolds, Kent
“We have had Rotel, Denon separates with lots and lots of cables and R4 has just one. Also the soundstage for a single unit is as good, if not better than our old separates. We have your excellent R2i system as well.”Mr and Mrs Baker, Somerset
“The system is fantastic; it's as simple as that - top quality sound, build and design.”Jonathan Baillie, Kent
“We bought the R4 – gorgeous product; sounds fabulous and looks delicious. Very, very pleased!”K. Lee, Essex
“Beautiful lovely thing in my house!!”Sally Thomas, Middlesex